Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Francesca

My darling sister has just given birth to my sweet niece Francesca (aka Frankie courtesy of her favourite Aunt - myself of course), at a healthy 7lbs, 6oz at 21 inches.

Upon hearing her tiny cries, I've covered the gamut of emotions from joy, to ecstasy, to nostalgia. My body may not have been present in that room, filled with those I love more than life, but my heart belongs solely to that little angel - reminding me of the last stanza of one of my favorite poems:

(i do not know what it is about you that closes
and opens;only something in me understands
the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses)
nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands

(excerpt from E.E. Cummings' 'somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond')

I really can't wait to meet you little Frankie.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats!! I promise to write you a long letter soon. Just too much to do right now- getting married Saturday, still in dissertation hell and finishing up teaching the non-majors.

Anonymous said...

For the record people, its Francesca, not Franchesca [[but thats a nice way to spell it too!!]] =]
Feels weird being a mommy!! Miss you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful! Congrats to you and your family (especially your sis)!! :)