Monday, September 14, 2009

Hallelujah

So, about 8 days ago, I did something that solidified the atmosphere of home that has been settling over me in Bangkok over the past year and half - I joined a choir. You all may know, more or less, the love I have of singing. Every stage of my life has involved a choral group; choir in middle school, Varsity Singers in high school, and who can forget the amazing Sing Alliance of my Baylor days.

It is the Bangkok Combined Choir that claims these vocal chords now, I auditioned and joined upon a recommendation from P'Bee - our school's magnificent choir director (herself a long-standing member of the BCC). The BCC is not a regular choir in that it does not perform weekly or even monthly, but rather prepares for a full-fledged concert. The upcoming one is none other than the 3 day performance of Handel's "Messiah" and "The Creation" in the second week of December.

More than being just a vocal outlet, being a part of the BCC has lent a steady presence to my remaining time here in Bangkok. Most weeks, the days smear into one: school, tutoring, dinners, outings. The faces blur and I feel myself lost in the city's haze, I am not necessarily in Bangkok, any over-populated, polluted, high-rise dominated skyline will do.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Oh, what fun!