Sunday, June 8, 2008

Ayutthaya

This weekend, I went along with some of the teachers from California and two Thai teachers they knew from back home to visit the ancient city of Ayutthaya. It was the former capital from 1350 - 1767 (when it was destroyed by the Burmese army), after which the capital was moved to Bangkok. Ayutthaya is about an hour and a half from where I live in Bangkok.

I was really excited, firstly, about the prospect of riding elephants there but by the time we got there and I watched all of the tricks they made them do and saw how malnourished they looked - I didn't have the heart for it. I've never considered myself an overly sensitive person, but I almost stated crying when the Thai teachers asked me if I wanted to go ride one.


One of the malnourished-looking elephants...


The elephant that made me cry...

After the elephants, we went and visited a number of ancient Wats...they were all absolutely breathtaking, so I'll leave you with some of my favorites from the day...


Me & some of the girls as we first set out to Ayutthaya


Wihan Phra Mongkhon Bophit - one of the largest Buddhas in Thailand; it stands 55.6 feet high!


I barely even look like myself in this picture...the flower is from the trees at the Wat and is supposed to be good luck


The Reclining Buddha, located at the Wat Yai Chaimongkhon


Longer view of the Reclining Buddha


Taken at the same Wat Yai Chaimongkhon


Taken at the same Wat Yai Chaimongkhon


Wat Chai Watthanaram


This was also taken at the Wat Chai Watthanaram


Also at the Wat Chai Watthanaram


The Wat Chai Watthanaram at sunset

And that's all she wrote...see you next time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the pics are very cool. sorry to hear about the elephants. i probably woulda cried too.

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful, exotic places. I am living vicariously through your pictures. Thank you for writing. I missed a couple of posts due to lack of internet, but it feels good to be all caught up and to see that you are having some better experiences. I am sorry about you being sick, I hope your tonsils are now better.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! And the architecture is okay too

Anonymous said...

What is a wat? Is it like a temple? Very pretty, by the way. I'm at work right now with nothing to do, so I thought I'd read through your blog. Sounds like you're in for some awesome adventures over the next year! I'm slightly jealous. Good luck babe!